TRLN Management Academy
TRLN Management Academy: The Business of Libraries
The TRLN Management Academy is a unique experiential learning program that prepares current or new mid-level managers in academic libraries to operate with entrepreneurial and business acumen in the management of financial and human resources. The program is designed with input from library directors to support talent management and succession planning efforts by addressing gaps in the preparation of librarians for management roles.
Program graduates will:
- Understand core concepts and have resources for facilitating organizational culture change;
- Be able to differentiate strategic from tactical decision making and have practiced using alignment tools;
- Understand the principles of resources planning and allocation and the manager’s role in this process;
- Explore personal management strengths and expectations and develop a plan for cultivating new skills; and
- Have been exposed to and practiced a variety of skills that enhance the effectiveness of business and interpersonal communication.
Academy instructors include business school faculty and university administrators. An experienced facilitator helps participants synthesize the array of management concepts and tools and translate them to the academic library context.
Faculty use a multi-dimensional teaching approach involving introduction of business concepts, case studies, and hands-on practice with tools in the context of academic libraries, encouraging immediate incorporation of new skills.
The Academy is designed for supervisors or managers in academic libraries. Strong applicants will:
- have current experience managing human resources;
- have experience leading or be expected to lead projects;
- and have a demonstrated record of achievement and strong potential for future contributions.
How to Participate
The most recent TRLN Management Academy took place from April 16 – 20, 2018, in Chapel Hill, NC. Visit the 2018 Academy website to get a sense of the typical application process, tuition, and agenda.
In 2019, TRLN hosted the Library Management Skills Institute I: The Manager instead of offering a Management Academy. Watch this space for announcements about future academy dates and application details!